Why use an extension cord outside? There are just about a million reasons, from lighting holiday decorations to powering backyard parties. Whatever the reason, safety needs to be priority number one. In this article, we’ll talk about taping extension cords down outside, keeping them covered, keeping them dry, and making sure you’re doing it all safely. First, let’s talk a little bit about safety and why people keep cords covered.
A Warning About Safety
When it comes to extension cords, safety is of the utmost importance. Pay special attention to your cords. Make sure they remain dry. Wet electrical cord plugs can mean big problems. You could get shocked, electrocuted, or could even start an electrical fire if sparks get out of control. That’s why many homeowners opt to keep their cords and electrical plugs covered.
What are the Reasons People Keep Their Extension Cords Covered Outside?
Let’s get into the reasons people keep their cords covered. Maybe you’ve thought of all these reasons, maybe you haven’t.
- The Look – Aesthetics are important to homeowners. You don’t want to keep your yard looking messy. Tangled cords, strewn on the front lawn just isn’t a good look. Jumbled holiday lights aren’t pretty. Keeping electrical cords covered keeps them looking nice, neat, and presentable.
- Safety – Just as we said up above, safety should be priority #1. Safety isn’t only about the risk of getting shocked or electrocuted, it’s also the risk of a fire and the risk of a tripping hazard.
- Extending Life of Cord – To extend the life of your extension cord, keep it covered.
- Keep Animals Away – Cats, dogs, and other little critters, like racoons and squirrels, love to chew. They’ll chew through just about anything within their siteview. Electrical wires are no exception. Critter-proof your cords.
How Do You Tape Down Extension Cords Outside?
If you’re a DIY-er, you know the power of tape. Whether clear tape, electrical tape, duct tape, or masking tape, tape can be a big help. When it comes to outdoor extension cords, electrical tape is your best bet. Not only is it easy, it’s also inexpensive. Here’s how to tape your electrical cords down.
- Tightly wrap the electrical tape around the area where the plug connects to the electrical cord. This is the area of the cord that needs to be protected from the elements especially.
- Next, for added protection, you can layer the tape around the plug. The added tape will keep rain from the socket.
- Take a piece of duct tape as a sealant. Add a single piece around the exterior of the plugs to keep the electrical tape in place.
Other Ways to Cover Up the Cord
As we mentioned above, covering your outside cords is aesthetically pleasing. At the same time, it protects your cord. Plus, it keeps the cord dry, thus preventing safety hazards. Here are some other suggestions for covering the cord, hiding it from the elements, and camouflaging it from view.
- Use adhesive stickers or cable holders to run it along your siding as a long-term solution. This isn’t a short-term solution. If you’re just using the cables during one season, like the holiday season, this isn’t your best bet.
- Purchase a cord cover kit from your local hardware store to smoothly protect them. The materials you can choose from typically include plastic, rubber, or metal.
- Try a DIY method, like the pool noodle. This is especially helpful if the length of the cable is short. Pool noodles are waterproof and an overall easy option. That said, they’re not the best looking. They come in a variety of colors. So, you could find a color that matches your home, like gray or blue. Or, you could use a bright color to differentiate the cord and bring caution to the area. While this method does lack curb appeal, it is realistic.
And Last Thing…
Streamline Your Electrical Cords with the Sleek Socket…
Why the Sleek Socket?
When it comes to organizing and streamlining electrical cords, your greatest potential asset is the sleek socket. But, why the sleek socket? Maybe this is the first time you’re hearing of it, so here’s a brief introduction. This product is a GREAT way to organize and power your devices and appliances efficiently. Plug in multiple devices at once, saving yourself time, energy, and effort. Plus, the biggest benefit of this product is that it’s a chic way to hide all of your chunky, clunky wires and cords, so nobody comes to your home and peeps all of that junk. Sleek socket brings peace of mind and gives your home a sleek, fashionable makeover. If you want to hide wires in a chic way, there’s no better way than with the sleek socket. So…want to know more about the sleek socket?
A Great Alternative: The Sleek Socket?
The sleek socket allows you to hide unsightly and unsafe power outlets via a unique ultra-thin design that blends into the wall. The sleek socket drastically reduces (and can even eliminate) obstructions between furniture and traditional plugs attached to an outlet. Say goodbye to the ugly, chunky wires, plugs and cords that mess with your vibe and say hello to style and functionality with the sleek socket. The elegant design of the sleek socket adds to the ambiance of your home décor – not detracts from it, like with traditional plugs and wires. In fact, there’s no better way to eliminate ugly plugs and cords. So get your sleek socket today!