We offer a 30-day money back guarantee on all products purchased from Socket Solutions, LLC with proof of purchase.

Every household and office building on earth has plugs and extension cords in their walls because that’s how electrical devices are powered, right? We need lights, TVs, phones, and other electrically-powered items to participate in daily life. Well, for that reason people need to know about any potential risks of fire damage that come from extension cords.

Just how important is fire cord safety? It’s very important, actually. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation, International (ESFI), more than 50,000 electrical fires happen each and every year. These fires don’t discriminate, they happen in homes, businesses, schools, and the like. AS a result, about 500 deaths and 1,500 injuries can be blamed on fires. Plus, fires often damage property – more than a billion dollars worth each year, according to ESFI! Fire damage is serious. It is physically dangerous, and unless you have good insurance it could wind up costing you money from your pocket.

That said, how do electrical fires start? And, more importantly, how do extension cords cause fires?

3 Reasons Electrical Cords Can Cause Fires

  1. Faulty Electrical Outlets​ are a great cause of electrical fires. This could mean faulty extension cords, worn-out sockets, or loose electrical connections. Extension cords produce heat when they’re powering a device. When extension cords get older, they produce the same amount of heat but that heat continually wears the plastic around the socket and the wiring within it. Loose wiring could lead to a break in electrical connection, thus making room for sparking, which causes fire. Repair or replace those faulty connections as soon as possible in order to fix the problem before it becomes a disaster. Take an inventory of your electrical outlets every six months to make sure they’re in tip-top shape.
  2. Worn-Out Electrical Wiring can be a big cause of fires. Outdated wiring can become a big problem. That’s because worn-out wiring can cause loose connections and other issues. This is especially a problem in older homes.That’s because older homes have older appliances. If you take an inventory of your wiring, get it checked out professionally, and replace worn-out wiring with new wiring, this won’t be a problem for you.

    1. The Signs of a Worn-Out Electrical Wire
    • Flickering lights
    • Hot wiring
    • Sparking
    • Getting shocked from outlet switches
    • Electrical wires that smell like they’re burning
    • Old electrical wiring
  3. Overloaded Circuits are another cause of electrical fires. That’s because electrical wires are like any other piece of equipment you own, from your computer to your charger to the TV you watch. Overloading leads to overheating, which can lead to fire.

How Can You Keep Your Property Safe from Fire Damage Caused By Extension Cords?

The most important thing is to ensure that your extension cords are tested and approved. Plus, make sure to buy cords that correctly fit the environment you’ll use them in. A great example of this is the outdoor extension cord. Always use outdoor extension cords for outdoor projects.


Questions to Ask

  • What is the power capacity of the cord? Don’t overload your cord with more power than it can handle.
  • What is the cord’s rating? The rating indicates the wattage it can take.
  • What is the wire gauge? For example, smaller gauges can handle heavier loads.
  • What is the cord’s length? Shorter cords can handle more than longer cords.

Causes of Extension Cord Fire Hazards

The thing about extension cords is, they’re intended for temporary use. When people plug them into the wall socket and forget about them for months and even years, they become permanent fixtures, which they were never meant to become. Another thing to note is that extension cords shouldn’t be covered. Many people cover their extension cords with carpeting – that’s not a good idea. Look out for fire hazards to keep your mind safe.

While you’re researching extension cords, look for other products that can help your life…like the Sleek Socket.

Sleek Socket is a way to streamline your electrical cords.

Why Sleek Socket?

Have you heard of Sleek Socket? Maybe this is the first time you’re hearing of it, so here’s a brief introduction. This product is a GREAT way to organize and power your devices and appliances efficiently. Plug in multiple devices at once, saving yourself time, energy, and effort. Plus, the biggest benefit of this product is that it’s a chic way to hide all of your chunky, clunky wires and cords, so nobody comes to your home and peeps all of that junk. Sleek socket brings peace of mind and gives your home a sleek, fashionable makeover. If you want to hide wires in a chic way, there’s no better way than with the sleek socket. So…want to know more about the sleek socket?

A Great Alternative: Sleek Socket

Sleek Socket allows you to hide unsightly and unsafe power outlets via a unique ultra-thin design that blends into the wall. The sleek socket drastically reduces (and can even eliminate) obstructions between furniture and traditional plugs attached to an outlet. Say goodbye to the ugly, chunky wires, plugs and cords that mess with your vibe and say hello to style and functionality with the sleek socket. The elegant design of the sleek socket adds to the ambiance of your home décor – not detracts from it, like with traditional plugs and wires. In fact, there’s no better way to eliminate ugly plugs and cords. So get your sleek socket today!

We offer a 30-day money back guarantee on all products purchased from Socket Solutions, LLC with proof of purchase.